7th Edition – Regulations
THE SEVENTH INTERNATIONAL PIANO DUO COMPETITION
Bialystok, 18-24th November, 2018
1.The organizing unit of the Competition is The Society of Friends of The Fryderyk Chopin University of Music in Bialystok in co-operation with The Podlasie Opera and Philharmonic - European Centre for the Arts in Bialystok and The Fryderyk Chopin University of Music, Department of Instrumental and Educational Studies in Bialystok, .
2.The initiator and artistic director of the International Piano Duo Competition is Professor Barbara Halska from the Chair of Piano Chamber Music of F. Chopin University of Music in Warsaw (UMFC).
3.The Competition will be organized under the auspices of the Polish Ministry of Culture and National Heritage.
4.The Competition will be held in Bialystok from 18th to 24th of November,2018 with the 1st stage taking place in the concert hall of the Instrumental and Educational Department of UMFC in Bialystok, the 2nd and the 3rd stage (Final) performed at the concert hall of the Podlasie Opera and Philharmonic in Bialystok.
The Competition is open to pianists of all nationalities whose common age at the first day of the Competition is less than 70 years altogether. The prize-winners of the prior competitions will not be admitted.
Competitors are requested to apply either by forwarding via web the application from found on the website www.pianoduo.pl or by sending the application form attached to the Regulations, filled up in legible block letters or typed in Polish or English and sent by 31th July 2018 to the following address:
VII International Piano Duo Competition
The Society of Friends of The Fryderyk Chopin University of Music in Białystok
ul. Kawaleryjska 5, 15-324 Białystok, Poland
or sent by e-mail to:
The application should include:
a) three recent portrait photographs (individual or joint) on glossy paper (9cmx 12cm) or in electronic version (JPG.TIF) for use in the Competition programme and press publications,
b) birth certificate or a certified copy of birth certificate,
c) certificates of completion of musical studies (copies of diplomas),
d) the proof of payment of 75 euro per each candidate (150 euro per duo) paid to the following bank account:
Bank Pekao S.A. oddział Białystok
84 1240 5211 1111 0000 4925 2578
Code SWiFT or Code BIC PKOPPLPW
with the insertion: The Seventh Piano Duo Competition, Białystok – with the name of the applicant.
Incomplete documents will not be accepted!
No document will be returned!
1.The applicants qualified for the Competition will be informed by 30th August 2018.
THE ABOVE DECISIONS MUST BE ACCEPTED AS FINAL AND ARE NOT APPEALED AGAINST.
2. An acceptance of an application means an agreement between the organizers and the applicant on the terms of the present set of regulations.
3. The entrance fee minus transfer costs will be returned to unaccepted applicants.
1.The organizers agreed that all auditions and concerts during the Competition may be:
a) broadcast by radio and television,
b) registered, recorded and filmed and subsequently broadcast on radio, television and on-line as well as shown in film chronicles and documentary films, recorded on CDs and cassettes that are chronicles of the Competition,
c) photographed by the press,
d) directly transmitted live by the Internet,
with no remuneration to the pianists.
2. The organizers have the right to produce (without limits and payment to a performer) records and cassettes of all concerts or parts of programmes played by competitors and winners during the Competition and the awards ceremony.
1.All travel expenses to Bialystok, as well as accommodation costs are covered by competitors.
2.All participants will have an equal access to the instruments for practicing.
3.Competitors who qualify for the final will have one rehearsal with orchestra.
The competitors must register at the Secretariat of the Competition one day before the Competition starts at latest.
1.The auditions will be held in public in two stages and the final.
2. The order of auditions will be established before the Competition by drawing lots and will be maintained in principle until the end of the contest.
3.In principle no more than 14 duos will be admitted to the 2nd stage, and no more than 5 duos to the final.
The programme of the Competition includes the following pieces, which could be played from music sheet:
A.W.A. Mozart – a chosen sonata for four hands or two pianos.
B. Ignacy Jan Paderewski- Tatra Album po.12 – three chosen movements
Duration – 35-40 min.
A. F. Chopin – Rondo C Major op. 73
B. One or more compositions chosen from the Polish composers group
C. The choice of other pieces for two pianos or four hands is free
If the pieces from A and B fill the required time for the II stage, there is no need to play a piece from C group
Tracklist of Polish composers for use in group B
- Borkowski Marian- Dialoghi na 2 fortepiany
- Dobrzyński Ignacy Feliks –Rondo alla polacca op.6 na 4 ręce (Eufonium)
- Górecki Henryk Mikołaj - Toccata op. 2 na dwa fortepiany (1955, PWM)
- Kościów Aleksander -Liber Figurare Aquae na 2 fortepian (2012)
- Lutosławski Witold-Wariacje na temat Paganiniego na 2 fortepiany (PWM)
- Łukaszewski Paweł- Pearl of Wisdom na 2 fortepiany
- Maciejewski Roman -Kołysanka na dwa fortepiany (PWM)
- Maciejewski Roman-Tańce szwedzkie (Eufonium)
- Maksymiuk Jerzy - Scherzo Grandioso na 2 fortepiany (2015)
- Noskowski Zygmunt-6 Krakowiaków op.7 na 4 ręce (Eufonium)
- Palester Roman - Sonatina na 4-ręce (1940, PWM)
- Popielski Zbigniew Variations au sujet personelles pour deux pianos-(2015)
- Ptaszyńska Marta -3 interludia –na 2 fortepiany (PWM)
- Sikorski Tomasz - Diafonia na 2 fortepiany (1969,PWM)
- Sowiński Wojciech- Fantazja charakterystyczna op. 98 na 4 ręce (Eufonium)
- Sowiński Wojciech- Les regrets op. 33 na 4 ręce (Eufonium)
- Spisak Michał -Koncert na 2 fortepian (PWM)
- Tansman Aleksander -Sonata na 2 fortepiany (1940)
- Twardowski Romuald - Introdukcja i toccata na 2 fortepiany (PWM)
- Zarębski Juliusz- 4 mazurki op. 4 na 4 ręce (Eufonium)
- Zarębski Juliusz- A travers Pologne op. 23 na fort. na 4 ręce vol. 1 & 2 (Eufonium)
- Zarębski Juliusz- Divertissement a la polonaise op. 12 na 4 ręce (Eufonium)
- Zarębski Juliusz- Polonez triumfalny op. 11 na 4 ręce (Eufonium)
- Zarębski Juliusz- Reverie et Passion op. 5 na 4 ręce (Eufonium)
- Zarębski Juliusz- Tańce galicyjskie op. 2 (Eufonium)
- Żeleński Władysław-Dwa tańce polskie op. 37 na 4 ręce (Eufonium)
- Żeleński Władysław-Suita tańców polskich op. 47 na 4 ręce (Eufonium)
- Wł. Żeleński- Trauerklänge op. 36 na 4 ręce (Eufonium)
3dr Stage (Final)
W.A. Mozart – Concerto E Flat Major KV 365 for two pianos with orchestra
The Jury shall carry out their work in accordance with the Jury regulations.
In the first stage the Jury will separately assess the performances of the “Album Tatrzańskie “ by I.J. Paderewski
In the II stage the pieces from group A ( F. Chopin- Rondo C Major op.73) will be assessed separately from the pieces from group B and possibly from the pieces from group C
1. The finalist duos will be awarded the following prizes in Polish currency:
I prize – 30 000 PLN
II prize – 25 000 PLN
III prize – 20 000 PLN
IV prize – 15 000 PLN
The prize-winners receive the title „Laureate of The Seventh International Piano Duo Competition”
2. Apart from the prizes stated above the Jury can award special prizes for:
-3000 PLN for the best performance of three movements of „ Album Tatrzańskie” by I.J. Paderewski
- for the best performance of “Rondo” C Major op. 73 by F. Chopin – The Fryderyk Chopin Institute Prize-the concert for the chosen duo in the Music Hall of NIFC in Warsaw.
-for the chosen finalist duo- Rector of the Academy of Music in Gdańsk Award- the performance at the III International Piano Duo Festiwal in Gdańsk 2019
- for the best performance of the composition/compositions of Polish composers – The Association of Polish Composers Prize – the concert for a duo at Warsaw Music Encounters (Spotkania Muzyczne) in Warsaw in 2019
- 4000 PLN for the youngest semi-final duo – prof. Witalis Raczkiewicz award
- for a chosen finalist duo – a concert at Duo Piano Festival Cracow in 2019
3. The Jury can also decide on awarding the extra- statutory prizes
The competitors of the second stage qualified to the final will receive the diplomas.
1. The Jury has the right (by voting) to change the distribution of the prizes and awards. However, the value of particular prizes must stay the same as stated in the regulations.
2. The Jury has the right not to award the special prizes or to decide on their distribution.
3. The decisions of the Jury are final and non-actionable.
1.The prizes and awards will be presented to the laureates and the awarded on 24th November 2018 at the Awards Ceremony.
2. All the finalists are bound to participate in the Awards Ceremony.
3. The finalist are obliged to participate in winners` concert that will be held on November 24th, 2018
The programme of the concert will be decided by the Jury of the Competition in the consultation with all performers.
4. The participants of the Awards Ceremony are obliged to perform the program in compliance with the findings of the Jury.
There is a possibility of founding other awards both by institutions and private donators. They should be registered at the Competition Bureau by 30th October 2018. Awards accepted by the Bureau will not be a part of official awards. Money awards will be paid in the currency in which they were deposited. All these extra awards will be presented at the Awards Ceremony.
The Bureau of the Competition has a right to decide on all organization matters that do not belong to the Jury’s competence.
Any doubts regarding the decisions specified in these Regulations will be decided according to the Polish text as the only authentic one.
The International Piano Duo Competition is an event of major importance in the Polish music life, especially in Białystok and the Podlasie region, where the concerts of the participants take place. For the numerous international group of piano players those “duet’s agons” are a chance to develop their artistic careers.